Clinton is the county seat of Van Buren County. Located in the Ozarks’s Little Red River Valley, it is situated at an elevation of 564 feet. As of the 2012 census, Clinton had a population of 2,602, and Van Buren County had a population of 17,295. Clinton has an area of nearly 12 square miles.
The area includes nearby towns such as Shirley and more than 40 unincorporated Communities, including: Alread | Choctaw | Crabtree | Scotland
Government: Mayor/Council (Mayor Richard McCormac, Treasurer Dena Malone)
Planning & Zoning: City Planning & Zoning Commission
Police Protection: 7 City Officers, 9 County Officers, 3 State Officers
Fire Protection: 19 volunteer & 1 paid firefighter
Fire Insurance: Class 5th rating
Health Services: County hospital, family clinics, vision clinics, dentists, and local specialty offices including physical therapy, surgeon, chiropractor, community mental health and county health unit (Click here to view Medical/Health directory…)
– Highways: U.S. 65 (the major connecting route on the way to Branson, MO), State Highways 9, 16, 95, and 330 all intersect in Clinton
– Clinton Municipal Airport and Holley Mountain Airpark
– Jefferson Lines features a bus stop in Clinton, connecting the city to other major destinations in the state and throughout the country
2 hotels, 3 motels, campgrounds, and rental cabins (Click here to view Lodgings directory…)
- KFGL/KHPQ Radio (Live Stream)
- KFFB Radio
- Van Buren County Democrat-Gazette (subscription newspaper)
- The Voice of Van Buren County (subscription)
– Clinton School District is one of 5 K-12 school districts in the county
– Clinton Public Schools are fully accredited with the AR Department of Education
– Head Start & ABC program
– North Central Career Center Adult Education
– New state-of-the-art Van Buren County Library & Conference Center
– 5 universities and colleges are within 40 miles of Clinton
Clinton maintains 2 public parks with lighted walking trails, music amphitheater, fishing pond, outdoor classroom & nature garden, skateboard park, soccer field, 9 baseball/softball fields, and a newly-launched Disc Golf Course.
The Archey Park Riverwalk system is pedestrian, bicycle, and pet friendly, linking both park areas to the historic downtown, with water access to the Archey Fork Nature Conservancy area. Ample parking, with many shops & restaurants are within convenient walking distance.
Greers Ferry Lake
Greers Ferry Lake offers 40,000 acres of good fishing and water sports. There are several marinas, campgrounds, and boat docks available. Tributaries to the lake run through and around Clinton, providing excellent wade fishing.
Access the water from Hwy 65 on the south side of Clinton (turn on Hwy 95 E towards Choctaw Marina) or from Hwy 16 on the north side (through Shirley towards Fairfield Bay).
The Clinton community boasts a diversity of restaurants, from popular fast food chains, to fine dining, to fun & flavorful diners, café’s & bistros. You’ll never run out of delicious options!
(Click here to view Food & Restaurants directory…)
Shopping on the brain?
Browse boutiques, thrift stores, bookstores, & more, to your heart’s content!
(Click here to view Shopping directory…)
Clinton was named for DeWitt Clinton, the New York governor who built the Erie Canal. The land was acquired by the United States as part of the Louisiana Purchase of 1803, and settlers from the East soon began to populate the area. The first Clinton post office was established in 1833. The city was incorporated for the first time in 1851.
Don’t miss a visit to the Van Buren County Historical Museum! On 3rd St, just off Main Street & Yellowjacket Lane.